[WEB4LIB] Re: hanging indents?

Lee Jaffe ldjaffe at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Mar 16 14:10:58 EST 2001

I think that this response cuts the heart of the question, that there isn't
a set of bibliographic tags incorporated into the HTML standards.  Since
I've been creating bibliographes on the web for a long time, this has been
a constant challenge. I'd love it if the next iteration of the HTML standards
included tags for bibliography with the appropriate formating.  e.g.,

	<bl>
	<ba>Swift, Jonathan</ba>
	<bt>Gulliver's Travels.</bt>
	<bl>London :</bl>
	<bp>Motte</bp>,
	<bd>1716</bd>
`	<bc>2 v.</bc>
	</bl>

Until then, the choice seems to between adopting an existing formatting
tool which most closely approximates the bibliographic form or doing
elaborate physical layouts to approximate the look of a bibliography.  Since
my reading of HTML has always been that markup is meant to describe
content first and appearance second, I've believed that adopting tags near
in meaning was the better approach.  It doesn't take a far stretch to give
the main entry of a bibliographic citation the <dt> position and put
the following
information within <dd> tags.

On the other hand, it seems to me that twisting text around with elaborate
but meaningless formatting tricks is very much outside of the spirit of the
HTML standards.

Frankly, if you want a good looking page and you don't really care how you
accomplish it, you can always do the bibliography as a .txt file or lay it out
with <pre> tags within an HTML file.  Or if you're really desparate,
PDF (shudder).

-- Lee Jaffe, UC Santa Cruz