[WEB4LIB] Re: Free Britannica Going Away

morganj at iupui.edu morganj at iupui.edu
Thu Mar 15 15:17:38 EST 2001

The problem is the obtrusive nature of online ads.  With popup windows,
the ads are much more aggresive than in print media.  In print I can skip
whole pages of ads if I want; online ads are always either on the page I'm
viewing or in a popup window I have to close.  And of course there are the
techniques that make closing windows difficult, and ads that mislead you
into thinking they are for some other service you want.  Until we have
some standards for ethical online advertising, consumers will see them as
pollution.
Jim Morgan

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Mike Madin wrote:

> A specific example is Academic Info.  Ad revenue is down 90% since last fall
> so we were forced to increase the number of ads per page earlier this month.
> Initially (1998-1999), we relied solely on donations but with only around 1
> in 300,000 visitors donating we were forced to introduce ads at the
> beginning of 2000.
>
> There seems to be an odd irony with online advertising: When you pay for a
> print subscription advertising is assumed but with free online content ads
> are anathema. For example, when you subscribe to the print version of
> American Libraries (or any other magazine or newspaper) advertising isn't
> giving a second thought but when you access the *free* online version ads
> become offensive.
>
> Even though I'm no fan of corporate America, I'd rather live with online
> advertising than see the demise of all independent search engines,
> directories and portals.
>
> Just a few thoughts,
>
> Mike Madin
> Academic Info - http://www.academicinfo.net
> Seattle
>
> Send me an email if you'd like to be added to Academic Info's free monthly
> announcement list.

Jim Morgan
morganj at iupui.edu