[WEB4LIB] Re: Free Britannica Going Away

Mike Madin madin at academicinfo.net
Thu Mar 15 12:47:18 EST 2001

A specific example is Academic Info.  Ad revenue is down 90% since last fall
so we were forced to increase the number of ads per page earlier this month.
Initially (1998-1999), we relied solely on donations but with only around 1
in 300,000 visitors donating we were forced to introduce ads at the
beginning of 2000.

There seems to be an odd irony with online advertising: When you pay for a
print subscription advertising is assumed but with free online content ads
are anathema. For example, when you subscribe to the print version of
American Libraries (or any other magazine or newspaper) advertising isn't
giving a second thought but when you access the *free* online version ads
become offensive.

Even though I'm no fan of corporate America, I'd rather live with online
advertising than see the demise of all independent search engines,
directories and portals.

Just a few thoughts,

Mike Madin
Academic Info - http://www.academicinfo.net
Seattle

Send me an email if you'd like to be added to Academic Info's free monthly
announcement list.