[WEB4LIB] RE: hanging indents?

Randy Souther southerr at usfca.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:24:23 EST 2001

> It's also possible to create a hanging indent by wrapping text around an
> image - perhaps a transparent .gif. The problem here is the height of the
> image and the length of the indented text... and all the philosophical
> debates about using shims to force page layout.

This has been the easiest solution for me. You can create a transparent gif
that is, say, 1 x 1 pixel (so download time is negligible), but you can stretch
it to whatever dimensions you want in the html: place the image at the
beginning of the line you want indented, and make the html size 1 pixel high by
25 to 30 pixels long.   You can use the same 1 x 1 gif for all sorts of
"positioning" duties by changing the html size attributes as needed.

--
Randy Souther
Reference Technology Librarian

Email:  southerr at usfca.edu