[WEB4LIB] NT/2000 security question

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Thu Mar 8 18:44:14 EST 2001

A couple of quick thoughts:

W2K Server will handle the profiles of all users and machines fine.
NB: the tools are, mostly, found in different places than where you'd expect
on an NT4 Server.
NB!: the W2K machine will have to be a Domain Controller.  If you install a
W2K Server on the network it will automatically become the PDC.  No if's
and's or but's.  Logically this makes sense, but be sure to be ready for
this when it happens.  (I would consider taking down the "real" or current
PDC and promoting a BDC first then installing the W2K box on the network --
just in case something goes horribly wrong.)

NT4 can handle the profiles for W2K Professional machines when the
workstation is correctly configured (so I'm told)  But, I am also told that
moving production to a pure or "native" W2K domain structure (all DCs are
W2K and in native mode) makes administration a breeze.  In an instructional
environment (contrived, yes) I agree W2K is much easier and far more robust
and granular in its permissions; but don't forget vendor compatibility
issues.

If you've the budget (and a compatible vendor) my suggestion would be to
switch to 100% W2K machines (Server & Workstation) for the following
reasons:
  If you install the machines from a network share the OS provides a
"persistent" file system. (if a user deletes explorer.exe on a workstation -
a required file for Windows to run - the OS realizes it is missing a file,
looks for the network share it used for the original install, copies the
file to itself, and then runs as if it were always there.  Same with M$
applications, if you installed it from a network share and a user deletes
word.exe the next time someone tries to use word.exe the OS notices that it
should be there, goes and gets the file from the original installation
network share (assuming the share is still there), installs it again and
runs it for the user.)
  Users can be assigned software, if you say user 1234 can use a software
package the system will install the software from a network share (if you
tell it to) for that user and allow the user to run it.  If later you decide
that user 1234 should not be able to run the software the OS will remove the
software from the user's profile.  Very neat stuff.

-Aaron
:-)'
Please pipe M$ bashing replies to /dev/null :-)'

Yes they are corporate in all the negative senses,
but they do make (bloated) products that work without
requiring end user/administrator kernel recompilation :-)'