Content and site management

Sunner sunner at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 2 08:47:31 EST 2001

We are looking at investing in content and site management software, and I
have been given the task of investigating the options.  I have just started
researching via the web and am overwhelmed by the variety of product on the
market - not only in what they provide, but in price.

Currently we are using freeware for content management (well, really a basic
html editor) and nothing for site management other than what is provided by
our ISP - basic site stats, some CGI form management and little else.  The
sites I manage (of which the information centre is only a small part) have a
few hundred pages and are growing.

Questions I have include: Is database-driven software the way to go?  Are
complex site statistics really that useful (we get basic stats via our ISP)?
What additional features should a site management system include apart from
things like link-checking and site mapping? Is an all-in-one package better
that getting individual component software?...

Would people be willing to share what they use for content and site
management and/or their views?

Thanks for your generosity of time and knowledge.

Kati
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."
* Groucho Marx

John and Kati Sunner

Alternate email for John: john.sunner at frontier-economics.com.au