[WEB4LIB] Re:Monitor Resolutions

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Mar 2 09:09:24 EST 2001

> ...I don't WANT to give the
> whole screen to a web page.

This bears pointing out at least once during every discussion on
resolution:  In a graphical environment, all of these are different, all
of them are important to the user, and most of them are never knowable to
a web designer:

  The screen size in physical dimensions
  The screen size in pixel dimensions
  The window size in physical and pixel dimensions
  Font sizes in physical and pixel dimensions

Those dimensions being unknowable, the designer is responsible for
crafting a design that is resilient enough to handle wide variations in
all of them.  The great thing is that, by default, HTML already takes care
of this.  We create our own design hurdles and them grouse about how
difficult they are to overcome.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu