Why use AOL instead of DSL?

rich at richardwiggins.com rich at richardwiggins.com
Wed Jun 20 13:00:54 EDT 2001

Canada is probably quite a ways ahead of the United States on DSL deployment.  In the U.S., the last year has seen a near-meltdown of the Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) industry.  Even in metropolitan areas where DSL is available, many neighborhoods are not served due to technical or business reasons.

Even if DSL or cable modems were available everywhere, the going rate of $40 to $50 per month is lots higher than AOL's rate of $23 or so for dialup.  A huge percentage would choose the lower fee and the familiarity of AOL.

And some people use AOL over high speed.  That may really make you want to rant, but it's true.  :-)

Bottom line: any content provider serving a large audience can't dismiss AOL users.

/rich