Comments on new logo

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Wed Jun 20 12:24:55 EDT 2001

I found many of the comments I got on our new logo interesting. Many were
helpful.  Thanks to all.  Here are some of them that didn't appear on the
list summarized and names removed to protect the guilty and the innocent.

 Many were surprised how fast a Flash image could load.  Our web designer
has found that flash images when compared to comparable animated GIF images
actually are smaller in file size and load faster.

I was asked why we are using any animations at all.  It is because we know
our user community that we are using flash.  Many professors here are
developing tutorials based on Flash for their courses.  This fall close to
75% of our students will have IBM Thinkpads.  We are primarily a residential
campus with high speed internet access in all buildings as well as wireless
covering the entire college.  All computers have the latest version of flash
on them as well as IE5.5.

One person commented that the greens used in the logo were something like
too harsh and jittery.  She said I should contact a design major or a
graphic artist.  DUH!  Our web designer has a MFA and is an accomplished
graphics designer and artist.  He is also working on his doctorate.  His
thesis is on communications in chat rooms and other areas of cyberspace.
Very interesting person!

Maybe I am becoming a curmudgeon since I hit 51 last month.  I hope not!

______________________
Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
SUNY Morrisville College Library
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
BillDrew.Net: http://billdrew.net/
Not Just Cows: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
Library: http://www.morrisville.edu/library/
Wireless Librarian: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/wireless/
Have Laptop -- Will Travel.
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" --
Author Unknown