[WEB4LIB] RE: Article - "Post-Tasini: Pity the Librarians"

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Jun 29 22:58:39 EDT 2001

Friday, June 29, 2001, 9:55:51 AM, you wrote:
phm> Also, the decision could have far-reaching implications for retrospective
phm> digitization projects. What if someone decides to create a full-text
phm> version of a retrospective Reader's Guide? Since they're not reproducing
phm> an entire version of a specific journal, but rather a disparate collection
phm> of unrelated articles, and the publishers don't hold blanket copyright
phm> agreements, it could make for a spotty collection, at best.

That's just one more reason no one would ever consider such a project,
at least as a business proposition.

phm> So obviously, we need to be maintaining our microfilm or print runs of
phm> these journals if we want to provide full access to them for our patrons.

phm> "Full text" databases are becoming less and less "full text" every day!

For some older databases, yes.  For current content (last half dozen
years or so), they're not changing.  We'll still have the issue of
changing contents as journals negotiate with different consolidators,
but not of individual articles disappearing.  And, once again, most of
the articles in dispute are not those written by your campus
colleagues that are appearing in scholarly journals.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA