[WEB4LIB] RE: Article - "Post-Tasini: Pity the Librarians"

Dan Robinson drobinson at hwwexch.hwwilson.com
Fri Jun 29 12:30:25 EDT 2001

I've always argued that depending on aggregators for periodical
collections for libraries was dangerous. Collections would shift as
vendors are changed and fulltext can disappear in a flash if it's
contained on a website. I see more linking to Publisher's sites for
fulltext from I&A services. Then the Publishers can control the access,
collect the statistics and pay the correct royalties. Since libraries
will still be paying for subscriptions, the publishers shouldn't feel as
threatened by fulltext as they now are.

As a side 'benefit' of Tasini, maybe our feedback won't contain so many
complaints about the holes in our fulltext when we report that the
author has denied permission for electronic distribution of the article.

Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY
drobinson at hwwilson.com