(Update Week 14) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Jun 7 12:38:24 EDT 2001

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 14
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

6/7/01

It’s been quite a busy week for this D.C. based weblog editor and compiler.
If you haven’t visited the site in the past few days, you’ll soon see what I’m
talking about. Get ready to read a MANY interesting news stories and bookmark
or add to your own collections numerous new documents and sites.

As you know, this email update is ONLY A SAMPLE of what’s on the page.  With
so much material you’ll see why checking in once, twice, or more times
throughout the week is a good idea.

Btw, feel free to share this weekly reminder/update or simply the weblog url
with others who might find The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk of
interest.

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

---------
Thanks for the continued support. If you have questions or comments, you know
where to find me.

Cheers,
gary

----------------
Weekly Highlights #14
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 7, 2001
Library History--Australia
New Web Resource: Our Nation's Album: The Library's First 100 Years
A new site from the National Library of Australia

Professional Reading--Scholarly Publishing
"Online or Invisible?"
Source: Author Web Page/Nature
>From the article: "Articles freely available online are more highly cited. For
greater impact and faster scientific progress, authors and publishers should
aim to make research easy to access."

Web Directories
New Web Directory Goes Live: Hello to JoeAnt.Com
----

Wednesday, June 6, 2001
Energy--California
Real Time Information
Two Resources to Monitor California Energy Supply and Demand

U.S. Senate--Bibliographies
The United States Senate: An Institutional Bibliography, 1789-2000

Canada Resource Shelf
Children--Directory--Canada
Source: Government of Canada
Services for Children: Guide to Government of Canada Services for Children and
their Families

Full-Text Document Shelf
Cities
Source: United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (Habitat)
State of the World Cities 2001
News Release/Summary ||| Direct To Full-Text Document
----

Tuesday, June 5, 2001
Copyright--Databases--United States
New Databases: Web Access to Copyright Files

Web Search--Google
Canada Gets "Customized" Google Site

Jacso on Scirus
Library professor, writer, and database expert Peter Jacso takes a look at the
recently released Scirus science search engine from Elsevier. An enlightening
read!

Small Business--Rankings and Lists
Source: Entrepreneur
Entrepreneur and Dun & Bradstreet's 7th Annual Hot 100

Full-Text Document Shelf
Transportation--Statistics
National Transportation Statistics 2000 (NTS)
----

Monday, June 4, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Health Statistics--United States
1998-1999 State Health Care Expenditure Report

National Public Radio
The NPR site relaunch includes a few new limiting options to the program
archive database.

Search Engines--Pay-For-Placement
Search Engines--GoTo.com
"Paid Placement Is Catching On in Web Searches"
Source: NY Times

Information Quality
"Consumers Union To Begin Web Credibility Project"
Source: LJ Digital
Web Research Tools--Resource Discovery Network
"Behind the Headlines": A New Service From the RDN
----

Sunday, June 3, 2001
News Resources--Politics--United States
Keeping Current with Political News
Two respected publishers of politcal news in the U.S. offer a few FREEBIES
worthy of your attention.
1) CQ: Derek Willis's always interesting weblog, The Scoop and the CQ Midday
Update.
2) National Journal: Hotline Scoop

Meteorology
Hurricanes
New Web Site: Hurricanes - 2001
----

Saturday, June 2, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Human Rights
Amnesty International Annual Report 2001
----

Friday, June 1, 2001
Info Industry--Dialog
Dialog CEO Chats With Information Today
Roy M. Martin Jr. answers Paula Hane's questions.

Cataloging and Classification--Health
National Library of Medicine Classification, 5th edition, Revised 1999, Goes
Online in Beta Version

Web Search Business--Google
An Interview With Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin
Source: Internet

Wildfires--United States
Wildfires--Canada
The National "Sit" Report
Published each morning this
----

Thursday, May 31, 2001
Cool Database of the Day!
Rail Travel--Europe--Database
Invisible Web
Die Bahn European Rail Timetable Database

Online News Tools
New Resource: NewsConnect

Wealth----Rankings & Lists--United States
Cities & Towns--Wealthiest--United States
Source: Worth
"America's Richest Towns: 2001"

Full-Text Document Shelf
Health--AIDS
20 Years of AIDS
Summary Info/Statistics/News Release
||| Current Edition of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) Dedicated
To AIDS (Several Article with Statistics)
||| "25 Notable HIV and AIDS Reports Published in the Morbidity and Mortality
Weekly Report"

Education--Statistics
The Condition of Education, 2001
Summary/News Release ||| Direct to Full-Text Document

-----
Weekly Highlights #14
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu

Gary D. Price, MLIS
gprice at gwu.edu