[WEB4LIB] RE: HR 1846 (was Re: Blocking email, the complaint)

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Jul 30 23:16:17 EDT 2001

Monday, July 30, 2001, 8:55:40 PM, you wrote:
PM> This is a more interesting part.  The computer used for sending the
PM> mail must keep a record of theat mail?  The computer used in the public
PM> library?  Or can one argue that it is really Yahoo, etc., sending the
PM> e-mail?

No way of guessing "legislative intent", but all user added content is
blown away when our computers reboot.  So that sure wouldn't work for
us, or for most libraries.  How long would you have to keep records?
Also, the info would be useless unless you had users login so that
you'd know who used computer 123 in the reference area.  Like many,
our users don't log in either.

Of course having Yahoo log it isn't overly meaningful either, since
the most they'll know is what IP number it came from.  And a great
many libraries run DHCP, or dialup, or local subnets, all of which
blow that away.  And then you get into caching servers on campuses and
elsewhere.....

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA