HR 1846 (was Re: Blocking email, the complaint)

Peter Murray PMurray at law.uconn.edu
Mon Jul 30 22:50:28 EDT 2001

--On Friday, July 27, 2001 11:25 AM -0700 Larry Scritchfield
<lscritch at netscape.net> wrote:

> `(A) ANONYMOUSLY- The term `anonymously' means--
>
>      `(i) with respect to sending of electronic mail, in a manner
> that prevents--
>
>           `(I) anyone receiving such mail from accessing the
> electronic mail address of the sender; or

That part seems clear enough -- the e-mail must have a proper,
legitimate "From" header.

>            `(II) the creation or recording, by the computer used for
> sending the electronic mail, of a record that the mail was sent, of
> the content of the mail, of the address to which the mail was sent,
> or of the time, date, or sender of the mail; and

This is a more interesting part.  The computer used for sending the
mail must keep a record of theat mail?  The computer used in the public
library?  Or can one argue that it is really Yahoo, etc., sending the
e-mail?

I received a private reply from a member of ALA's e-rate Task Force
saying that they and the Washington Office (the OITP specifically) were
watching this bill to see if anything happens.  I trust we'll hear from
them if something does.

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut