[WEB4LIB] link annotations

SusanM.Brown at mail.state.ky.us SusanM.Brown at mail.state.ky.us
Thu Jul 26 18:30:41 EDT 2001

There is an interesting article in College and Research Libraries.
"Usability of the Academic Library Web Site: Implications for Design,"
Louise McGillis and Elaine G. Toms, July 2001, p 355-366.

On page 364 the authors talk briefly about something called "click cost."
One of the works cited for the article is the Spool book that Beth Phillip
mentioned in her response, though it is not cited at the point that they
discuss that item.

The authors are reporting on observed user behavior.  The pertinent excerpt
is:  "The "click cost" phenomenon has been discussed, but not formally
investigated.  One discussant noted that 'users are very reluctant to click
a link unless they are fairly certain that they will discover what they are
looking for.' Because of page load times, people seem reluctant to select an
option if it is not almost guaranteed to meet their needs."

See the article, because there are citations for their information that I am
not including here.

Susan

Susan Brown
Kentucky Virtual Library