K-Meleon Help Pages

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Jul 3 19:19:32 EDT 2001

Back in May, I posted about K-Meleon, a Mozilla-based browser that has good
potential to be a replacement browser for IE and Netscape in a public library
setting.  After playing around some more with K-Meleon, I decided that the
browser was mature enough to be of use at least for OPACs and other limited
access workstations.  To assist anyone who wants to deploy K-Meleon in that
environment, I've started a set of K-Meleon help pages that explain how to
use the various features of K-Meleon to lock down the browser.

You can find those pages here:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/mozilla/kmeleon.htm

I guarantee that there isn't a browser out there right now that is easier to
configure than K-Meleon.  Everything that you need to manipulate in order to
lock down the browser can be set through the user interface.  It only takes
about 5 minutes to create a true "kiosk" browser where all the menu items are
removed, the short-cut keys are disabled and the browser is limited to a
pre-defined set of sites.  I'll be interested to hear about experiences with
this browser!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library