[WEB4LIB] Re: format for IP address ranges?

Noah Abrahamson noah at wayne.edu
Tue Jul 3 12:17:26 EDT 2001

On 2001/07/03 11:42, "Peter Murray" <PMurray at law.uconn.edu> wrote:

> It is supplied in many ways, and most of them are based on the old
> notion of IP address range "classes" (e.g. the "Class A", "Class B",
> and "Class C", etc., blocks).  We now live in a world of "classless" IP
> addressing (isn't it wonderful to have a classless society), so it can
> be argued that IP address ranges should be sent in CIDR notation.
>
> Webopedia has an article (<http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CIDR.html>)
> on the topic, and there is also a good, but technical, discussion of
> the history and reasoning behind CIDR at:
>
> <http://public.pacbell.net/dedicated/cidr.html>

This is very interesting.

For supplemental reading, try
<http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1631.html>, which discusses
NAT (network address translation) and it's relationship to CIDR.

Noah

--

Noah Abrahamson                       | Web Developer
Wayne State University Library System | Michigan, USA

tel: +1 (313) 577-5951 | fax: +1 (313) 577-8720
pgr: +1 (313) 609-6676 | apg: 3136096676 at paging.acswireless.com
eml: noah at wayne.edu    |