Windows 2000 bypasing proxy settings

Tom Edelblute thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us
Tue Jul 3 12:06:48 EDT 2001

We have some Windows 2000 computers on the public floor that we have set
up with what we are calling Public Research Tools profile (includes book
catalog, InfoTrac, Newsbank etc.).  The way we set up this profile is
with an illegal proxy setting of x.x.x.x and creating an exceptions list
for those sites in our Public Research Tools.

Our children have found a way around this and gotten out to unrestricted
Internet access.  I am at a loss as to how they are doing it as well as
any way of shutting it down.  Windows 2000 appears to be a lot less
secure than NT at this point.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
--
Tom Edelblute