[WEB4LIB] Re: need technology news not business news

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Jul 30 18:13:22 EDT 2001

Monday, July 30, 2001, 3:37:35 PM, you wrote:
>> He should work hard because he wants his company to be one of the
>> survivors.  He should work hard because he has pride in his own work.
>> She should work hard because she knows she has a great idea and if the
>> project doesn't make it with this company, it will with another.  She
>> should work hard because when the current company is bought out the
>> manager of the new one will recognize what a great project it is, and
>> it will get carried through to fruition.

DM> I don't know if I can completely agree with this. I've got some friends in R&D and
DM> sometimes their world mimics the world of Dilbert.

Of course it does.  So does yours, I'll bet.  So does mine.  At least
in the sense of the "original Dilbert".  (IMHO Scott pretty much had
covered the waterfront by 1999 or so and now Dilbert is pretty weird
most of the time.)  Part of the beauty of the original Dilbert is that
we've all had coworkers like Wally and we've all had bosses like ol'
pointy hair, no matter where we've worked or what we've done. And of
course we've all had great ones, but those don't make us laugh, just
happy.

DM> The circumstances
DM> tended more toward the "clean sweep and fresh start" process where everything is
DM> scrapped and people are given new projects, new positions, and new titles. Those that
DM> aren't, are politely shown to the door.

I should have stated my idea more clearly.  I should have said that
you do it "in hopes of [good things happening]".  I'm no Pollyanna.
I've been hosed before, and one should always be prepared for the
worst.  However, if you're not prepared for things to go the way you
hope they will, they certainly won't.

>> I'll pass on that, but I'll take a Diet Coke from the vending machine
>> if you've some spare change.

DM> Diet Coke, man! Are you insane? That stuff tastes like malted battery acid! :) But to
DM> each their own!

Well, I'm one who drinks my stuff straight.  I also drink coffee, on
rare occasions, but it has to be the way it was created by nature, not
some Chocolate Cherry Creamcheese Surprise with Cinnamon and Jujubes.
(and, 90% of what I drink is Raspberry CrystalLight, as I've mostly
kicked caffeine as well as completely kicked the "adult beverages")
Now if I could just get rid of carbs and chocolate and.....

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA