[WEB4LIB] Re: need technology news not business news

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Jul 30 11:59:04 EDT 2001

Monday, July 30, 2001, 6:10:38 AM, you wrote:

DB> When they first started the majority of articles was on how busnesses and
DB> others were using the new technologies of the internet.  Now again they are
DB> dominated by what company is taking over what other company.

Well, I see that as the changing times and business climate.  If we
old timers on the net look back to 93-96, say, there were new and
different things happening.  The web was new to most everyone, and
particularly to businesses.  Netscape was happening.  And on and on.
Now most companies are on the net.  The dotcom boom has busted and
things are returning to a more normal environment.  The net has become
a standard part of business for most companies.  We've finsished a
revolutionary period and are entering a more stable one, as the
consolidation of the industry winds down.

Even more important, the changes happening now aren't earth shaking.
Going from a 286 to a 386 was a big deal.  Going from a 600 mhz box to
1.4ghz box doesn't mean much to the vast majority of people.  The
bottlenecks are still bandwidth and typing speed for 99.5 percent of
desktop applications.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA