[WEB4LIB] Browser Based Email

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Wed Jan 24 18:06:20 EST 2001

Sue, et al.,
    As a fifty member library system, we probably have similar needs to yours. This past fall, we moved to our email server to an NT system running Ipswitch's IMail with web messaging. The web messaging has solved some enormous problems we had been having: supporting multiple email client software; users that don't have their own dedicated PCs at work; users wanting access to not only their new messages but all their stored messages from remote locations; address books; attachments support; an integrated listserv program; virus and spam filtering, etc.
    I can't give a wholehearted endorsement of Imail--it has its bugs and limitations--but it has made life much easier for us, and reviewed favorably against similar software when we were researching web-based email servers.

    See: http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/IMail_Server/index.html

    Also note that much of the functionality I've described can be had free from online commercial serrvices, like Hotmail. What's that I hear? Hotmail was down today? We'll run our own server, thank you.