[WEB4LIB] MetaFrame vs. Win2K

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Tue Jan 23 13:05:53 EST 2001

Andrew Mutch wrote:

> We are looking at implementing terminals to replace some of our web
> workstations.  In the past, it was recommended to use Citrix's MetaFrame with
> Windows NT4 Terminal Server because MetaFrame included some functionality and
> enhancements that Terminal Server did not provide.  Now that Terminal Server
> capability has been incorporated into Windows2000 and has been improved, we
> are wondering if there is still a need to use MetaFrame?  Is anyone familiar
> with additional features that MetaFrame provides beyond what is incorporated
> in Win2K?  We would be operating this over both a LAN and WAN environment
> primarily for web access.

W2K incorporates bits and pieces of Citrix functionality.  Probably most
notable are auto-creation of printers (though some would call this a
curse), and session shadowing, which is useful for training and
troubleshooting.  Without Citrix, sessions will use the RDP protocol.
It used to be said that RDP was much slower over WAN connections than
ICA (the Citrix protocol), but I've read that later versions compete
with ICA effectively.  Note:  these are presentation protocols; either
may be used over IP, and ICA may also be used over IPX and NetBEUI.
Citrix also adds automatic client drive connectivity, which makes it
easy for a user to save to their A: drive, for example.  There are some
games you can play with RDP to do the same thing - like have the user
share their drive, and then connect to the share - if you NEED to, but I
don't think this will work over a WAN.  Citrix also supports client
sound, which I do not believe RDP does.  One potential big limitation:
with RDP, I believe you are still limited to 256 colors; with the latest
ICA, you can go up to 16M colors.  256 colors on a browser is not
exciting :-(

If you are going to provide web access TO the server (like for sharing
library DOS/Windows apps remotely), rather than just web access FROM the
server (like running a browser on the server itself), then Citrix and
ICA can be quite handy.  For example, with Citrix you can publish an
application and create a web link on your web pages.  There are ICA
plugins for most browsers that allow the user to click the link and
start a session on the server, running just the published app.  When the
user exits the app, they are logged off the server.  RDP is typically
used to connect to the NT/W2K desktop, rather than just a specific
application.  You can setup connections to specific applications using
RDP, but this is managed at the CLIENT, rather than the SERVER, so it's
a poor substitute.

Also, you should be aware that W2K terminal services will require a
license server, and with most things Microsoft, sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesn't.  But when it doesn't work, nobody gets in (or
everybody gets in?).  The licensing policy itself for W2K has not
changed from Terminal Server 4.0 (per seat, NOT per server), but it is
now enforced through the license server.  If you will be using a fixed
number of thin clients, this should be manageable.  Most of the
difficulties come up with larger deployments, and with remote users.

BUT....if you just want to provide basic outbound internet access from
thin client devices, try it with W2K by itself.  I think you'll get most
of what you want.  I will mention that as browsers get bulkier and
contain more multi-media components, they get more difficult to manage
in a terminal services environment, with or without Citrix.  Remember, a
single user running a video clip will affect EVERYONE's performance, and
I've heard stories of a single active-X control bringer a server to its
knees.  This implies that you may need a rather substantial server to
provide the level of performance desired/acceptable.  For these reasons,
I've seen a bit of a trend in using thin devices that have a local
browser.  For more insight, you may want to contact Jim Kenzig at
mailto:jimkenz at concentric.net  Jim runs what just may be the most
knowledge-rich list for thin client computing at http://thethin.net and
professionally happens to be Network Manager for the Cuyahoga County
Public Library.  Knows this stuff pretty darn good.  Good luck!

Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.
Internet/Remote Access - Thin Client Computing - Network Storage
Citrix Solutions Partner/Citrix Education Solutions Provider