Automated searching of Web of Science?

Tim Stedman libr093 at it.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jan 15 14:23:08 EST 2001

Hi,

My first posting ever; I hope it isn't too much of an asinine question!

We have recently been forced to cancel our subscription to Current
Contents due to budget constraints.

We are currently looking at alternative ways for providing our
university community with tables of contents services.

We have a subscription to Web of Science, but its functionality
is not ideal for this purpose.

Have any libraries pioneered the use of scripts to interrogate Web
of Science semi-automatically, to enable automated searches and
downloads against the weekly updates on the citation indexes, so
as to get around the real hassle of having to select/deselect,
downloading many hits 10 at a time, with several webpage calls for
each 10?

I would be most interested to hear comments regarding the
possibility (or impossibility) of this, or any other ideas out there.

Regards
Tim Stedman
Tim Stedman
Electronic Resources Librarian
Information Services
University of Canterbury Library
Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
Ph (64) 3 3667001 x8639 || Fx (64) 3 3642055
http://library.canterbury.ac.nz/infoserv/infoserv.shtml