What our users want

Ilene Frank (REF) ifrank at dudley.lib.usf.edu
Wed Jan 31 14:27:33 EST 2001

I was intrigued with a recent posting that Phil Agre made to his RRE
newsletter. He's got a neat vision of what he'd like his library system to
do for him. He was explaining that he wanted something beyond EndNote that
would help him manage library material.  What would it take to offer this
kind of service?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Phil Agre wrote:

> ... What I have in mind is something that maintains "live"
> connections between my citation files and the actual books.  I want
> to know where the books are.  More precisely I would like to do things
> like labeling the various citations in terms of which projects they
> are relevant to, and then as a project comes up I'd like to plan
> which items I'm going to study when, based on whether and when they
> are available, and then generate pick lists for the stacks and recall
> requests for checked-out books automatically.  Of course all of this
> would be moot if the books were all digital, but then I'd have a lot
> of other problems.

Ilene Frank, Reference Dept.
Tampa Campus Library, LIB 122
University of South Florida, Tampa FL 33620
ifrank at lib.usf.edu        Work 813.974.2483
http://www.lib.usf.edu/~ifrank/