_Candidates for e-Profiles_

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sun Jan 21 16:37:32 EST 2001

                               _Candidates for e-Profiles_

     Recently, I was appointed a Contributing Editor of _Library Hi Tech News_ (LHTN) [  http://www.mcb.co.uk/lhtn.htm ], the companion news journal of _Library Hi Tech_  [  http://www.mcb.co.uk/lht.htm ].
[LTHN will have a change in it's editorship with the 2001 issues]

  For LHTN, I will author a regular column tentatively titled "e-Profiles". The intent of e-Profiles is to provide a descriptive profile of new, novel, innovative, emerging, unusual, and/or unconventional Web technologies, applications and resources.

     I am greatly interested in receiving nominations of candidates for potential review in a future eProfiles column. I am most interested in those technologies, applications and/or resources that *you* believe are noteworthy but are not as well known as they should be among our colleagues.

   As an example, I believe the highly novel index to _Astrophysical Journal_
created using Kohonen self-organizing semantic maps

               [     http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/ApJ/map.pl   ]

is particularly noteworthy  and a technology, application _and_ resource that should be more widely recognized. [I plan to profile this index in one of my first columns for LHTN]

    As Always, Any and All contributions, suggestions, comments, queries, questions, cosmic insights, etc., etc., etc. are Most Welcome.

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

     "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Write a Column About It"
                                  With Apologies (Again) to Alan Kay