[WEB4LIB] E-lists for Monthly Newsletters

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Tue Jan 2 12:46:21 EST 2001

At 9:10 AM -0800 1/2/01, Ed Veal wrote:
>We are considering sending out our monthly newsletter via email. I
>am looking for some insight from experience. If you are doing this
>sort of thing:
>What "e-list" products are you using? Listserv, Majordomo, or web
>based products like ListBot?
>What are your experience? Good and Bad

I think it's a great idea -- people love to local useful info by email.

I used to be a product manager for mailing list software (ListSTAR on
the Mac) so I have some definite opinions on the options.

All the products have decent functionality but in my experience, it's
vital to have a useful administrator interface rather than cryptic
commands.  Otherwise you end up with little notes everywhere
reminding you what you need to do and if you're away from your notes,
you're in trouble!

Last I looked, ListServ & Majordomo were a pain to use and maintain.
Lyris was pretty good though perhaps overkill for your needs, and
someone just revived ListSTAR which has some neat features.  But
running a mailing list server is generally a pain and I don't advise
it unless you have a good reason -- the services are much better at
handling bandwidth and mail bounce issues.

Of the services, Topica has very nice interface, nice folks and will
let you hide your list if you want (like my school PTA list), also
does not require advertising (eGroups does unless you pay them a
small fee, like $60 per year).  The only current drawback is that it
doesn't strip attachments.

Best of luck,

Avi