Public Browser "Approved sites"

Ron Gillies rgillies at lloydminster.lib.sk.ca
Tue Jan 30 19:33:00 EST 2001

Skau, Adele (ASkau at ci.glendale.ca.us) wrote:

>I installed it here at Glendale Public Library last Sunday along with
>setting up "exceptions" so that people could only go to "allowed" sites
and
>I got several comments from the public about it. Needless to say they
>weren't pleased that they could no longer get full Internet access at
these
>computers. I even had one woman who was bragging in front of me about
what a
>great hacker she was and she was stumped and went away mad! Loved it!
Our
>librarians couldn't be happier, so I'm sure you will be pleased!! :-)

I took a look through the Public Browser .ini file Adele and I think I
missed
how you set "approved" sites. I could easily set off limits sites using
the "NoAccess"
tag and variables, but setting of list of approved ones for our OPAC
units seems to
elude me. I suspect other lurkers here would like the same answer, and
I'm not afraid
to ask basic questions <g>

Generally though I would like to echo other opinions and say a very big
thanks
to Scott Vermeersch for the effort.

Ron Gillies
Director