A "tobin tax" for electronic documents?

David Tremblay tremdav at cognicase.ca
Thu Feb 22 16:23:00 EST 2001

Dear Web4libers

I had a discussion with a colleague about the balance between authors rights
and readers needs for cheap even free documents and technological
development inbetween.
I know that everyone has an opinion about this subject and I need some
feedback about an idea my colleague had during our conversation:

Beyond any feasabilty issues would it fair to implement a tax like the so
called "Tobin tax" (which is a proposal of taxing 0.1% of all financial
transaction to reduce the side effect of the capital globalization)for
electronic document?
Where should stand technologies as peer to peer or micropaiements in that
debate?

if any have no idea of what is Tobin tax here is a link
http://www.ceedweb.org/iirp/

TIA for your input

David Tremblay
Documentaliste