[WEB4LIB] Re: Native American Support from Gates Foundation (Re: Re:Digital

Robert Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Tue Feb 6 14:56:19 EST 2001

Suzanne Reymer wrote:
> I think the Gates folks have some bugs yet to work out of their Native American Access to Technology Program.  In its initial incarnation, it isn't geared at
> all toward libraries.  They seem to think that public facilities like chapter houses are better locations for information technology resources than are schools
> and libraries with existing technological and training support.

Actually, the Foundation states they are working with libraries and the community:

1) "the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is working with tribal leaders, librarians and educators...."
2) "Libraries or alternative sites must provide free, public access."
3) "The foundation works with each Native community to determine the best location for the computers."
Source: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/learning/publicinfoaccess/nativeamerican.htm

It is presented as a community choice where this technology is installed, so who would know better than the people this is meant to serve?  If a community doesn't have local libraries, or if those libraries or schools are inadequate for (or unwilling to provide) public access to donated computers, then "alternative sites" would be considered.  No grant process is ever perfect, much less a panacea, but the foundation is making a concerted effort to work with libraries and groups of various sizes and service populations.  Their guiding criterion is the poverty level in a community.

My library (Middletown Thrall Library - http://www.thrall.org) along with its two branch locations have received a total of 15 computers from the foundation.  It has made an immediate and incredible difference in our ability to serve our community's previously unmet technology needs.  Until last month, we had a single 486 PC with a failing hard drive and a thoroughly abused HP printer (literally held together with tape) for a public word processor.  Before that, we had a donated electric typewriter with keys that didn't work.  Now we have multiple state-of-the-art stations online and equipped with current software, laser printers too.  That's the kind of positive difference the foundation is making.

Robert

rjtiess at warwick.net
http://rtiess.tripod.com