[WEB4LIB] Native American Support from Gates Foundation (Re: Re:Digital

Suzanne Reymer sreymer at uswest.net
Tue Feb 6 13:53:37 EST 2001

I think the Gates folks have some bugs yet to work out of their Native American Access to Technology Program.  In its initial incarnation, it isn't geared at
all toward libraries.  They seem to think that public facilities like chapter houses are better locations for information technology resources than are schools
and libraries with existing technological and training support.  While the Gates Foundation continues to experiment in creating new information centers, I'd
recommend that existing libraries serving native populations look into IMLS Native American Library Services grants:

<http://www.imls.gov/grants/library/lib_nat.asp>

Suzanne

2/6/01 7:10:54 AM, "Robert Tiess" <rjtiess at warwick.net> wrote:

>Zoe,
>This might be of interest to you (or others on
>this list) concerning grant support from the
>Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for Native Americans:
>
>http://www.gatesfoundation.org/learning/publicinfoaccess/nativeamerican.htm
>
>Contact information and grant guidelines are there.
>It seems well worth looking into concerning the
>circumstances you described below.
>Robert

**************************************
Suzanne Reymer