[WEB4LIB] Gates Computers and Internet Access

Tom Edelblute thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us
Tue Feb 6 12:02:35 EST 2001

Once you put your new users into a group just go into System Policy
Editor, create your policy name, copy over the settings you want to use
into the new policy name so you don't have to rekey it all in.

For the proxy server setting, use the System Policy Editor to find an
item toward the bottom of the list called "Set the Values for your proxy
server."  Thus only the group that uses that particular policy will use
that proxy server setting.

I was asked if the Gates Foundation allowed this.  I have in my class
notes that the Gates Foundation considered the use of proxy servers and
filtering an internal library policy matter that they were not going to
get involved in one way or another.  When asked if any filters worked
with their model they said they had no plans of testing any.

--
Tom Edelblute
Anaheim CA 92805         e-mail: thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us