Web forms that filter content and then post to a web page

Pinkham, Lida LPinkham at plcmc.lib.nc.us
Mon Feb 26 09:57:24 EST 2001

We do a lot of this kind of thing on our various websites. We use an Access
database to store the information and then ASP (Active Server Pages) to
write data to the db and extract the data and display it on a web page.

Our Bookhive site (www.bookhive.org) allows kids to enter comments about
their favorite books.  The comments are automatically entered into the db
through a form.  Of course, the comments are then reviewed and marked
whether or not they should be published.  All this is done with Access and
ASP.

Many of our websites obtain their content via webforms and are not published
until a certain date or until a "publish" checkbox is checked. This gives
library staff full control for maintaining the content and the web services
dept can focus on web design. (Bookhive, Storyplace, Reader's Club, Bizlink,
Healthlink Plus, Brarydog, our Events calendar, Job Postings, etc.) You can
see these sites by going to our family of websites at
http://www.plcmc.lib.nc.us/family/family.htm .

There are a lot of books out there that can help you learn more about this
technology if you are unfamiliar with it.

From: Megan Fox <megan.fox at simmons.edu>

Can anyone recommend a program that will allow you to create a web form
that will take submissions, filter them into four preset categories, and
then post the information to a web page?

Ideally, it would also allow for an administrator check or sign-off (to
make sure nothing inappropriate is posted).

One of our departments has a page with job listing in four categories
that someone currently enters by hand, compiling from emails, static
form results, faxes, phone calls, etc.  They are looking to find
something that will automate the process.
<<