[WEB4LIB] RE: Before I recreate...

Garwood, Steve sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us
Thu Dec 27 16:56:58 EST 2001

Hi Nathan/all,

Thank you for the webdeveloper reference, I'll check it out.

In general I'm not trying to do anything high falutten (sp) and if someone
figures out how to view the source code to get into a particular page, well
then more power to them.

Javascript was suggested as the best way to go for this as our tech guys
didn't want something running server side...I got the request as I do the
library's web site design.

Our idea was to just have a page which would make it appear that we were
doing some high tech security check where all we were doing was checking the
first five digits of a barcode and then seeing if the barcode itself was 14
digits long. This to us seemed like enuf security to keep out 99% of the
people who didn't have the proper barcode (and if others snuck thru so be
it). Since this isn't for an Ebsco/Wilson etc. kind of database letting
someone else handle the barcode check wasn't an option.

Thanks to everyone who's mailed me things so quickly...this has to be the
quickest list I've ever seen :-)

STeve