[WEB4LIB] Printing: IE 5.5 sp2, Win98SE, Deep Freeze 3.2 Eval

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Wed Dec 19 13:48:58 EST 2001

Dale Goodell - WOU Library wrote:
> Has anyone discovered this and, more importantly, has anyone figured out
> how to solve this problem?
>
> For our public computers, I'm running IE 5.5 sp2 under Windows 98SE with
> an evaluation copy of Deep Freeze v3.2.  We print to networked printers on a
> Novell network, HP LJ 5Ms and LJ 4050TNs.
>
> The problem is, under IE, when I select File > Print, then click OK to print to
> the default printer, the printout comes just fine, but with an added BLANK
> page that comes after the legitemate printout. ...

Printing an extra page is a known bug with IE 5.5 and has its own Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q270841 .

We run Win98/IE5.5 and DeepFreeze 3.2 on our public Internet PCs and have the same problem. Our patrons commonly put the blank pages in a pile next to the printer to be used again.

Microsoft seems to have fixed the bug in IE6.0.

Regards,

Chris Murphy

--
Christopher Murphy