Internal Home Pages

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Dec 11 17:39:01 EST 2001

Daniel,

I think John's info. on the web provides a good overview of what libraries provide
on their internal pages.  I've been a fan of the internal pages and have advocated
for them in past discussions here. I believe that it is impossible for a "home"
page to be all things to all people. So why try to do it? Instead, create distinct
pages for the audience you are serving.

On our in-house Internet page, you'll find these links that are not on our
"external" home page:

* Popular search engines and directories
* Free e-mail services
* A help page explaining how to configure the browser to display foreign character
sets
* Local news and weather resources

These items were included based on our patrons use of the Internet workstations.
Our "portal" page helps guide patrons to those resources that they use most often.

On our home page, you'll find these items that are not on our portal page:

* Library Catalog (not needed on an internal page as we have many dedicated OPACs
available for that use)
* Remote Access to online databases (databases are available on other workstations
in the library)
* Highlights of current library programs and events (sometimes these get on the
portal page too but the focus is for external visitors)
* Library address and phone number (if you're there, do you really need to see it?)

If we had tried to provide all of these items on a single page, the final product
probably wouldn't have fully met the needs of anyone.  We either would have had to
leave out some important element or overwhelmed the patron with a lot of
unnecessary information.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library