Google News, Weblog Update, More

gary price gprice at gwu.edu
Tue Dec 11 16:35:16 EST 2001

Good Day From Washington.

News from Google today that they have increased the size of the Google index
to over 3 billion documents.

Google claims:
Over 2 billion web pages (html, pdf, other formats)
7 million Usenet posts and 3 million images.

Also, the Google Groups feature is now out of beta and contains Usenet
postings back to May, 1981.

 A complete rundown of this news and more Google changes are listed at the
top of The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk at:
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Health Info and Teens
----------------------------
In addition, a report was released today (online full-text) by the Kaiser
Foundation about teenage use of online health information and this groups
feelings about filtering software.
http://www.kff.org/content/2001/20011211a/

More New
-------------
Yesterday, Yahoo debuted the use a natural language search tool from Yahoo
Finance and iPhrase.
http://finance.yahoo.com/li

As you can see this is one busy week and it's only Tuesday afternoon.  Much
more "content" on the weblog page.

Finally
--------
About a month ago I ceased posting weekly reminder updates of new weblog
material to this list. I'm thrilled so many of you have continued to visit
the weblog and have asked  to be placed on the list so a    weekly
reminder/highlights posting be sent DIRECTLY to you.

If you haven't visited the blog lately or signed-up for the weekly email I
would like to invite you to stop by and take a look around.
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Cheers,
gary
Looking for More News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu