[WEB4LIB] Re: checking link content

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Dec 11 11:47:34 EST 2001

I'm aware of such tools, and they're a step in the direction needed,
assuming there IS a need to have something checking to see if a linked
site turned into a porn site.  I don't assume there IS such a need,
however.

Using a service like this one would produce vast numbers of false
alarms, unfortunately.  Even if they told you that www.caldwellid.org
had changed, you wouldn't know, without actually visiting it, whether
the Chamber of Commerce had updated it or it had turned into porn.
(FYI, instead of buying their old name back, they simply bought the
better www.caldwellidaho.org )  But if a service like this were
modified to parse the text of the changed page and only notify you if
it contained "dirty words" or other telltale signs, then it could be
of some use to those who worry about such things.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA