[WEB4LIB] mailing list management

Mr. Edward Spodick lbspodic at ust.hk
Thu Dec 6 20:32:32 EST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, heidi cramer wrote:
> Has anyone utilized software or a web product to manage a large e-
> mailing list for program announcements, news from the library, etc.?
> We're looking for something that would allow the Development Dept to
> send out periodic emails.  I would appreciate hearing your experiences.

We have 2 diffeent implementations.  The campus computing center has
installed a large configuration of the majordomo software on a Unix
server, with *lots* of mailing lists.  We use it for distributions to all
staff, all faculty, etc.

But for lists they don't provide - usually departmental breakdowns, or
subsets, we took an ols Macintosh, threw the Macjordomo software on it
(free), and it has been running for a couple years with few problems.
But frankly, if your list is going to be large, you probably want
something more robust, with capabilities for archiving, indexing, and
searching.  There are lots of options, though I have not used them
(majordomo, mailman, listserv(?)).

-Edward