email for intranet

Ron Gillies rgillies at lloydminster.lib.sk.ca
Thu Dec 6 12:28:18 EST 2001

We have been using the IMP webmail package for almost a year. We use the
version tailored for use with the E-smith internet server/firewall and it
replaced a WindowsNt based package.

I chose the software because you can either implement a web-mail only
environment (users outside our lan can connect with an https session for
security) as well as an IMAP/POP3 based model if  you have users who wish
to continue using Outlook or other familiar mail clients.

IMP is based on Horde and PHP, and uses the qmail mail agent service built
into the E-smith server (now owned by Mitel but available as a GPL download).

For further information see the following sites or drop me a line

E-Smith:  http://www.e-smith.org
IMP:      http://horde.org/imp/

Ron Gillies

Quoting web4lib at webjunction.org:

> Date:  Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:21:17 -0700
> From: Michelle Rempel <mrempel at peacelibrarysystem.ab.ca>
> To: web4lib at webjunction.org
> Subject: RE: e-mail for intranet
>
> I'd be interested in everyone's experiences on this too.  I'm more
> interested in web based email solutions that will allow our users to
> access
> their mail while out of the office but will still allow them to download
>
> the mail they've viewed when they return.  The more full featured the
> better!
>
> Michelle
>
> At 02:10 PM 12/4/01, you wrote:
> >SquirrelMail (http://www.squirrelmail.org/) is a nice, ease to use,
> free,
> >open source product we use here.
> >
> >-- JF

Ron Gillies                              5010 49 Street, Lloydminster, Sask/Alta
Head Librarian                                   rgillies at lloydminster.lib.sk.ca
Lloydminster Public Library                                       (780) 875-0850