[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Web Page Use

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Thu Dec 6 11:00:35 EST 2001

> Wednesday, December 05, 2001, 9:40:35 PM, you wrote:
>
> CH> Is anyone aware of a study that compares the use of academic library web pages to the use of the rest of the academic web site?  Most of the studies I've read tend to evaluate the library site
> CH> use only.  What I'm interested in is how many hits do library pages get compared to academic non-library pages, perhaps broken down by department.

At the University of North Florida our library website is on the main
campus website tree.  Campus web server statistics demonstrate that the
library pages account for about 30-40% of the use (largest user) with the
campus mainpage hovering around 12% (second highest).  We do get smug when
asking for (and getting) enhancements we need!  In this case numbers do
have power!

Coming up through the ranks, I have noticed that as administrators come
and go new statistics are always added, but no one ever says you can
_stop_ keeping any older statistic!  Maybe we'll start seeing jobs for
"statistics librarians"!

Bob Jones

Robert P. Jones, M.S.L.S.
Head, Library Public Services & Library Systems
Thomas G. Carpenter Library
Library - Building 12
4567 St. Johns Bluff Road, South
P.O. Box 17605