How much upgrade is needed for Acrobat?

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Mon Aug 6 14:27:35 EDT 2001

Our library contracted with a medical information company for files which
are on their web site in PDF format.  So far, we can not access the
documents - although part of the information is shown in our Acrobat
browser.  My associate started trying to access the files with Acrobat 4 and
IE 5.0 and was unable to view the files.  I have Acrobat 5 and IE 5.0 and I
got the same message (Internet Explorer was unable to open this Internet
site.  The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found.)  Their
tech people said she had to upgrade to Acrobat 5, even though part of the
site works with Acrobat and I have 5.0 and it does not work on my machine
either.  Now they say we need IE 5.5, since 5.0 and Acrobat do not work well
together.  (There was something about this in the past, but I can not
remember exactly what it was - if it was there at all.)

What will it take to read these PDF's?  It is true that another part of the
FDA does use IE 5.5 and has no trouble.

But that would mean that all of our units would have to have 5.5 and that is
a big job.  More than the library can bring into being.

Any other way to do it.  We can not even download the PDF's.  Same message.
(..unable to open..)

Thanks,

Gary

Gary E. Masters