Floppy disks in library comptuers

suekamm at mindspring.com suekamm at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 1 11:37:30 EDT 2001

At my library, the primary public-access computers came through a Gates grant, and the machines are configured to (a) allow downloading or saving ONLY to a floppy and (b) prohibit opening the CD-ROM drawer.  We sell floppies at $1 if people want to download.  I think we also have automatic virus scanning when a saved document is opened.

Another suggestion:  Prohibit downloading, and put your CPU in a locked space.  We have used the desks from our former Bibliofile Intelligent Catalogs, which have cabinets that lock.

--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor-at-large,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at mindspring.com
"Good is not good when better is expected."  -- Vin Scully