Web Usage Statistics

Brian Kelly b.kelly at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 05:09:45 EDT 2001

Hi Judith
   A word of warning - analysis of Web log statistics may be misleading.
Analyses by different packages may give different results; differences
over a time period may reflect changes in your Web site and not changes
in usage patterns; growth in usage may be the result of visits by
robots, off-line browsers, Web accelerators, etc.; growth in usage may
be the result of growth in the nos. of one-off visitors who find your
Web site using a search engine and then leave straight away; a decrease
in usage may be the result of the development of a caching
infrastructure; an increase in average session time may be the result of
many brief visits from people behind the same firewall; etc. etc.

  There is a problem with the lack of standards in this area - what is a
page, what is a session, what is a visitor - and the difficulties
inherent on the Web - how do you detect a unique visitor on a normal Web
site, with no authentication.

  I wrote an article on this subject some time ago - see:

http://www.exploit-lib.org/issue5/indicators/
And the related slides at:
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/seminars/epsg-2000/

Brian Kelly