(Update Week 26) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Aug 30 12:10:54 EDT 2001

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 26
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

8/30/01
Hello from Washington D.C.

The system is now in place to SUBSCRIBE to our new opt-in mailing list.

For the next 4 to 6 weeks I will still post the weekly update to the
listservs.  During October, I will cease sending via the listservs and begin
forwarding the weekly update ONLY to mailing list subscribers. Please take a
moment and sign-up at this address:

http://www.freepint.com/resourceshelf/.

It's free!

Note: I have received e-mail asking if the weblog is going away. NO it's not!
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk will continue to be updated DAILY.
The sign-up is for the weekly reminder that many of you find useful.

----------------
Let’s get to Week 26 highlights.  The email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what
you’ll find on the actual weblog site. This was an especially busy week. Make
sure to visit the weblog to view all the content.
--------
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
---------
If you have any questions or comments, just drop me a note.

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu
----------------
p.s. Feel free to forward this e-mail or share the weblog url with others.

Weekly Highlights #26
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thursday August 30, 2001
Congressional Research Service
Selected New or Recently Updated Reports from the Congressional Research
Service
(Late August Update)

Web Search--Plagiarism
Fee-Based Services
"Pulling Plug on Plagiarism"
Source: San Jose Business Journal
Read about TurnItIn.Com, a fee-based service for educators that searches and
analyzes both an in-house database and the web for plagiarized content in
student papers.
----

Wednesday, August 29, 2001
Classical Music--Searchable Databases
Invsible Web
Today, the New York Times contains an article about Andante. The article calls
the site the "gold standard" of classical music web sites. A portion of
Andante contains access several searchable databases. Here is a list of what's
available.

Web Search--AltaVista
Source: PC World
Do You Use Any of AltaVista's Regional Search Tools? Be Careful!

Full-Text Document Shelf
Banks--Canada--Fact Sheets
Source: Department of Finance
Canada's Banks
Facts, charts, and lists.
-
Insurance--Canada--Fact Sheets
Source: Department of Finance
Canada's Life and Health Insurers
----

Tuesday, August 28, 2001
Web Search--Paid Placement/Inclusion
Source: ClickZ
What is Paid Placement? What is Paid Inclusion?

Higher Education--United States--Lists and Rankings
Recent Update: Princeton Review's Best 331 Colleges

Full-Text Document Shelf
Food--Worldwide--Projections
Malnutrition--Worldwide
Source: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Global Food Projections to 2020: Emerging Trends and Alternative Futures
----

Monday, August 27, 2001
Specialty Search Engines/Focused Crawlers--Non-Profit Research
"Sector Search" From the Foundation Center

Info Industry--ProQuest
Content from ProQuest's XanEdu Will Soon Be Available on
----

Sunday, August 26, 2001
Semantic Web
Source: San Jose Mercury News
"Machines to Talk Intelligently on Web"
Dan Gillmor provides an overview to the Semantic Web.
----

Saturday, August 25, 2001
Health and Medicine
New Subject Sources: From MEDLINEplus
Here's a sampling of NEW subject specific pages from MEDLINEplus.
----

Friday, August 24, 2001
Web Search
Greg Notess Releases Updated Search Engine Size Studies
Notess, the proprietor of one of the most useful sites for the web searcher,
Search Engine Showdown, has just updated some of the important and useful
engine size studies he compiles.

Web Search
Source: PC World
"Do Search Engines Tell The Truth?"
----

Thursday, August 23, 2001
Classical Music--Reviews
Searchable Database--Music
Invisible Web
GramoFile
A searchable and browsable database containing over 25,000 reviews
(albums/cd's) from Gramaphone magazine. This collection of material dates back
to 1983. Thanks to the LII for sharing this wonderful database with us.

Full-Text Resource Shelf
Vital Statistics--United States
Source: National Center for Health Statistics
National Vital Statistics Report:
Births, Marriages, Divorces, and Deaths: Provisional Data for January-December
2000
8 pages .pdf
--------
--------

Weekly Highlights #26
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu