[WEB4LIB] Re: MS-Access database - for archives

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Aug 23 12:45:38 EDT 2001

I've been trying to find the same thing out.  I did create one, but it seemed so complex that I was worried about its scalability...would it break-down under heavy load?  I was somehow (can't remember how) put in contact with a gentleman in Houston who created an Access system for the University of Texas, Houston archives.  He sent me the database structure so I could compare it with what I've developed.

Interestingly, our Archives Team has recently decided against a separate database, given that the Library will be purchasing a "digital library solution" package (either EnCompass or MetaLib) for much broader purposes, but it will also be able to handle our archives collection as an XML "database".  So we have set our Access/SQL Server plans aside and will concentrate on learning EAD.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> Craighton Hippenhammer <CHHammer at olivet.edu> 8/23/01 11:01:21 AM >>>
Has anyone created an MS-Access database template for archives they'd be willing to share?