[WEB4LIB] Mailto vs. forms

treed at clearwater-fl.com treed at clearwater-fl.com
Thu Aug 23 12:42:13 EDT 2001

<snip>
I'm noticing more sites now are using email forms on their sites for contact
information.
</snip>

We chose to use them because the computers in our libraries don't have an
email client loaded into them, so if someone wants to comment from a library
computer, the mailto link would be useless. As for best practice, I think it
depends on your audience and environment.

Also, we have an older population for whom all links are confusing, email or
no.  When we do our beginning internet classes, we explain that a link takes
you to another page on the internet.  To confuse the issue with a mailto
link would add to the learning curve and frustrate some users (YMMV). Again,
this goes back to usability and target audience.

On personal sites that I create, I have a tendency to use the mailto link
more frequently because the target audience is different.

-tracey
Tracey Reed
Webmaster, Clearwater Public Library System
treed at clearwater-fl.com
(*Above opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinion of Clearwater
Public Library System or the City of Clearwater.*)