[WEB4LIB] RE: why ebooks and when?

jw jw at bway.net
Tue Aug 28 15:33:54 EDT 2001

Well,

1. For existing texts, specialized uses like carrying all of Balzac's
Comedie Humaine to the beach with you, and being able to look up every
occurrence of his character Eugene Rastignac in any novel

2. E-books (the hardware) will engender true e-books (the content) which
will break the 500 year old chain of every work being read in a straight
line from the first to last page and will create new types of story
structure. I am not referring here to "experimental" stuff with alternate
endings, etc. but to new ways of telling traditional stories in a less
linear fashion using hypertext. Some of my work in this vein is
online at http://www.spectacle.org/empire.html

Jonathan Wallace
Publisher, The Ethical Spectacle
www.spectacle.org