[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape 6.1

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Aug 10 09:31:18 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Scritchfield" <lscritch at netscape.net>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 11:30 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape 6.1

> Thomas Dowling wrote:
>
> > Netscape 6.1 Final...
> > looks like it might be ready for prime time.

> It still has the problem of the screen not repainting when using Dynix
> WebPAC (Java version). Version 6.0 had the same problem. The workaround
> is to minimize the browser, then re-maximize it.

Since it is no longer Netscape's Java, but Sun's, it's not likely to
change soon, or at least not as part of any changes to the browser.

Some of the onus for this is on Dynix, isn't it?  Netscape has been out of
the Java VM machine for a while now, and with the recent announcements
about Windows XP, Microsoft is out of that business also.  Any company
reliant on Java applets that won't work with the Sun plug-in is up the
creek (correction: their users are).  For what it's worth, your catalog
works better for me in Netscape 6.1 than in IE 6.0b (froze) or Netscape
4.7 (blank screen).

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu