[WEB4LIB] IE and remembering URLs

Pär Nilsson par.nilsson at kb.se
Fri Aug 10 04:04:46 EDT 2001

At 19:43 2001-08-08 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I searched the archive and came across the following post from Feb 2000:
>
>> I was making an online purchase and it rembered my Mastercard number and
>> inserted it in different sites at a later date. Even though I was very
>> careful
>> to clear the cache, history, and other locations of pertinent pages.
>> I don't have to explain the problems with this now....
>
>The response to this was to turn off the AutoComplete function.
>
>However, what I am trying to find out is:
>Is this the same function that remembers what has been typed in the
>location bar?
>Reason I ask: I can start to type a URL in the location bar, IE remembers
>it and completes it. But when I look in c:\windows\history that particular
>URL is not actually there (the previous user has removed it ..??).
>where does IE keep this information? Is it a file somewhere? Is it
>accessible? How does it do this?
>(IE5, win98)
>
>thanks,
>Vicki
>

>Information Technology Support Officer

>J.W. Grieve Library
>Royal Children's Hospital Library Service
>Flemington Rd, Parkville, Vic, 3052
>Ph: (03) 9345 7010
>Fax: (03) 9347 8421
>Email: library at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au
>Internet: http://www.rch.unimelb.edu.au/library

Hi!

The URLs you recently have typed in at the location bar are stored in the
registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
It seems to hold the 25 most recent URLs typed in.

According to an article in Microsoft's Knowledge base(1) the AutoComplete
feature uses these URLs, together with your Favorites and History folders,
the contents of the folder you specify for files or folders, and the
contents of the left pane in Windows Explorer. I'm not sure what "the left
pane" etc. means. All your hard disks and mapped network drives?

The following web pages provide pretty clear explanations of how to use
AutoComplete. Passwords are said to be stored in encrypted form, but I
don't know sure if they are stored in the registry or in a separate file,
presumably the latter.

(1) <URL:http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/1/48.ASP>
    <URL:http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/ie50-08.shtml> (mostly a
copy of the MS page)