[WEB4LIB] Electronic White Boards

Swanson, Troy Swanson at moraine.cc.il.us
Mon Apr 2 11:01:48 EDT 2001

Kathy,

The librarians at Moraine Valley Community College use a Smart Board in our
orientation lab.  We are extremely happy with it, and we don't know how we
got along without it in the past.

There are two issues that I would bring to your attention concerning the use
of Smart Boards.  First, the best idea is to use them in a location where
they will not be moved.  Every time the Smart Board is moved, the new user
will have to recalibrate the board with the projector.  Our board is mounted
on a wall and therefore, is stationary.  Second, the writing feature
(ability to write free hand on the screen) is somewhat choppy.  If you plan
on using the Smart Board in place of a chalk board, I would be cautious.  It
is not as smooth as some of Smart Board's competitors that I've seen at
several conferences.  Maybe other list members who use this technology could
comment on this aspect?

Other than these two points (which we found to me minor problems) we love
our smart board.  I have come to dread the few days a year where I go out
and teach in "regular" classrooms that do have Smart Boards.

Hope this helps,

Troy Swanson

Teaching and Learning Librarian
Moraine Valley Community College